Updates and changes I’ve made
Since the beginning of my plans to implement a Nook lending program, I’ve learned several things and change some things along the way.
First, though…sadly, one of the Nooks died. It was working fine as I was teaching the 4th and 5th graders how to use it, and then for one class, it just froze. I couldn’t “wake it up” from the screensaver, which pretty much disabled any troubleshooting I could do. No amount of resetting via the power button or charging it would fix it. It was right before Christmas break, and to my Barnes and Noble store’s credit, they gave me a replacement right away despite being SO BUSY with holiday shoppers! I’m pleased to report that the new one is working flawlessly, and I’m still a very happy customer!
Since that incident, another Nook has been misbehaving — freezing when it’s not plugged in and then restarting when it is plugged in. It’s been responsive when plugged into the power cord, but the battery indicator has a question mark on it. I’m hoping that by upgrading the software (which happens both beautifully and automatically), the problem will resolve itself. Still, out of 13 total Nooks that were purchased (3 of which were “pre-owned”), I think only 2 with issues is a decently positive experience so far.
One important thing that I changed in the whole program is the amount of paper documents I’m keeping. I stopped printing the ebook orders from BN.com, since I can log into the account at any time and pull up each and every purchase. I also ended up not keeping a title list on the Nook mock cases (on the shelf) or in the pocket of the Nook covers. I have the list in Destiny Quest and I have one paper copy that I show students when they sign up on the hold list.
The binder for the circulation desk to organize permission forms, hold lists, etc. didn’t get made yet (it’s still on my to-do list though), so for now we are using a pocket file folder for everything. It’s getting unruly, but at least all the working documents are in one place. The rest of the documents, receipts, and tracking forms of purchases over time are kept in a filing cabinet in the library office. Each set has a separate file as does each gift card.
Finally, after long last, I did actually choose a Nook bag for students to carry. If you didn’t know, ereader screens of all brands and flavors are very susceptible to compression damage. So if a Nook is put into a backpack, it will very likely come out with a cracked screen.
So I searched high and low for something to both protect the Nooks (in addition to their cases), and make them safe to carry on the bus, in the hall, and on the way home. I ended up going to Etsy for my source, and connected with the amazing Colleen Bass at her online store, NeedlesNPinsStitchery. I can’t recommend her highly enough!!!! She made 13 custom-made cotton bags for us, plus one “trial” bag to make modifications from, and all during the holiday rush. They are made of cotton and padding, so I can throw them in the washer, and even “brand” them with a school logo later on if I so desire. If we eventually buy more, I’m definitely going to be asking her again! If you are looking for an ereader bag or cover, I also highly recommend Etsy for creative and unusual handmade “local” items for sale.
So that’s the update for now. Next time…some student comments and feedback!